This page explains how to create, edit and use the Aeon email templates. All email templates are stored in the Aeon database and can be accessed and edited from the Aeon Customization Manager.
Types of Templates
There are 3 types of email templates in Aeon: Transaction, User, and Activity. The type of template you choose determines which table fields are available to you when creating or editing a template.
|Template Type||Available Database Tables|
Locating Email Templates
You can add, remove, and edit email templates by opening the Aeon Customization Manager and clicking on the Email Templates tab at the top. There are several default templates created and available for use:
|ClearUser||Used when clearing a user for use in Aeon.|
|DisavowUser||Used when disavowing a user in the User Information and Users Waiting to be Cleared forms.|
|ItemCancellation||Used for notifying a user via email that a request has been cancelled.|
|ItemDelivered||Used for notifying a user via email that a request has been delivered.|
|ItemInvoice||Used for notifying a user via email that a photoduplication request they have placed has been invoiced.|
|MergeUser||Used for notifying a user via email that they have registered for a duplicate Aeon account and the accounts have been merged.|
|NewUserRegistration||The default template used when a new user registers for your system.|
|OrderCancellation||The default template used for sending photoduplication order cancellation notifications.|
|PasswordReset||The default template used when a user requests a password reset link.|
|UserAddedToActivity||Used for sending Activity registration emails to users associated with Activities.|
Editing Email Templates
There are three sections in an email template:
- Template Details: Includes the Name, Type, Transaction Status, Photoduplication Status, and Description of the template. The Name and Description fields are editable fields.
- Template Content: Includes Recipient Name, Recipient Address, CC Address, BCC Address, From, Reply To, and Subject. These fields are often prepopulated and can be filled using static information or field tags.
- Body: The body text of the templates is prepopulated for you, and includes field tags to pull information from the database. You can edit the body of the template.
You can edit any of the 3 sections of the default email templates.
- To open and view a template for editing, click on the Edit button in the Email Templates ribbon and choose the template you want to edit.
- To edit text, simply make the changes you want to make to the Template Details, address or body section of the template. Edited fields will highlight in yellow until the changes are saved.
- To add or edit a field, right click in the text box to bring up the menu of available database table fields and click the field tag you want to use.
- Click Save in the Email Templates ribbon to save the changes.
Adding Database Tags to Email Templates
Tags allow you to pull information from your Aeon database straight into your emails so you don't have to manually type that information. You can easily add these fields into your email templates.
- On an field that allows tags to be added, right-click to see the tag options.
- Select the tag you want by first selecting the database table (such as User or Request) and then the field name (such as ItemTitle or CallNumber).
- The tag will display in the email.
- Click Save to save changes.
Creating Email Templates
You can create new Transaction, User, and Activity email templates in the Customization Manager.
- Under the Email Templates ribbon, click New and choose either Transaction Template, User Template, or Activity Template.
- A blank template will open. The Type field will be labeled Transaction, User or Activity, depending upon which template type you chose.
- Complete the Template Details and address lines, using static information or field tags.
- Draft the body text of the email, using the supplied field tags by right clicking and selecting from the field tables.
- When you are finished, click the Save button in the Email Templates ribbon.
- Your new template now appears under the Edit button on the Email Templates ribbon and is ready to use.
You can also copy a template, make changes to it, and save it as a new template. Simply open a template by clicking Edit and the template you would like to copy. The template will open. Click Copy and the Name of the template disappears. Type the name you choose for your new template, make the changes you want to make, and select Save.
Deleting Email Templates
You can delete an email template that you no longer want to use. You cannot delete any of the 7 default email templates.
- Under the Email Templates ribbon, click Edit and choose the template that you want to delete.
- The selected template displays. Click the Delete button in the Emails Template ribbon.
- A confirmation window asks if you want to delete the template and warns that the action cannot be undone.
- Click Yes to delete the template. The selected template will be deleted from the database.
Using Email Templates
Email Templates use fields from tables in the Customization Manager to complete the email, which is generated and sent from within the Client by the System Manager. To see the email (not the template) in the Client, and edit the email before sending if necessary, you click the Edit Email toggle button on the Reason for Cancellation popup window. Otherwise, the email will not display on the screen and will send automatically when you select Cancel Request. The option to edit emails before sending is available throughout the Client in various formats, such as the Customize Email checkbox on the Merge Users form.