Some users have been experiencing issues recently with authenticating into DOCLINE through ILLiad using their Google accounts. This issue is a result of a conflict with Google's authentication. If you're experiencing issues with using a Google account, there are several other supported login methods. To switch to one of the new log-in methods, see Switching to a Non-Google Authentication Provider. For a list of supported and unsupported log-in methods, see the details below:
Log-in Methods Available
When you log in to DOCLINE, the method you use determines the entity that verifies or authenticates your identity. There are a number of options displayed to users on the “NIH Sign In” portal* after they click the Log in to DOCLINE button (https://DOCLINE.gov).
Supported Methods in ILLiad
The following methods are known to work with ILLiad and are regularly used by some libraries:
- Research Organization: log in with your own university or other workplace network credentials (email address) that matches the established DOCLINE username. The institution must be an NIH federated research partner and belong to Incommon.org (https://incommon.org/) to be listed.
- Microsoft: login with your Microsoft account.
- Login.gov (https://login.gov) is listed as a Research Organization option on the NIH Sign In portal.
- See login.gov’s Help for more information.
- Note that NLM does not regularly test this method or offer documentation, but it is known to work and is regularly used by some libraries. NLM cannot offer advice or support on configuring and maintaining the account or using it with DOCLINE.
Not Supported in ILLiad
The Federal Libraries log-in method is supported by the NLM, but is not tested for support with ILLiad. The Google log-in method is supported by the NLM, but is no longer a supported DOCLINE log-in method in ILLiad (see DOCLINE Login Methods Before and After the 9.2 Update for more information).
- Google: log in with your own Google account and password or your own Gmail account and password (email address) that matches the established DOCLINE username. See NLM’s Google Best Practices for more information.
- Federal Libraries: log in with your CAC or PIV card that matches the established DOCLINE username. NIH staff have the option to use internal network credentials (username and password).
Unsupported methods may work but have not been tested, could have unpredictable results, and are not recommended. The unsupported options are Facebook and PayPal.