As the Copyright Clearance Center plans to phase out support for the old web service, implementing the new web service is required to continue using the CCC copyright processing functionality in ILLiad without future interruption. Non-CCC copyright processing in ILLiad will not be affected. Please update ILLiad to v9.1.4 or v9.2 as soon as possible to ensure that you do not experience any future disruptions to copyright processing in the ILLiad Client.
Please note that though the end of support for ILLiad 9.0 is March 31, 2022, you will not be able to continue using CCC copyright processing in ILLiad on version 9.0 if the CCC removes support for its old web service before this date.
The Copyright Clearance Center (CCC) has recently made several changes to its web service, which has required some changes to the copyright configuration and processing interface in ILLiad in order to keep integration with this service up to date. This article will outline the changes made to the copyright interface in the ILLiad Client, as well as detail the one-time configuration changes you may need to implement on both the CCC and ILLiad sides to continue using your existing CCC account to submit copyright orders through the ILLiad Client.
Note for Non-CCC Users
Much of the information in this article only applies to institutions performing CCC copyright searching and ordering processes directly through ILLiad. If you do not use the CCC copyright searching and ordering workflows in ILLiad, this update is not required to continue performing your normal borrowing workflows for non-CCC copyright processes. However, if you choose to update to ILLiad 9.1.4 or 9.2, you will need to disable the CCC Auto Search functionality on the ILLiad Client's Process Copyright screen to avoid triggering error messages related to missing CCC account credentials. For more information, see Using ILLiad Copyright Processing Without a CCC Marketplace Account After the 9.1.4/9.2 Update.
In order to enable copyright processing directly within the ILLiad Client, ILLiad must connect to the CCC web service by using its APIs to communicate information back and forth between the two platforms. The CCC has recently made several changes to its APIs, and as a result, the copyright interface in the ILLiad Client was updated to use the new APIs to maintain its connectivity with the CCC's web service. Some functionality, such as canceling copyright orders, was removed by the CCC in the new APIs and now must be performed directly through the CCC's web interface. Other functionality, such as searching for an item's rightsholder, has been maintained but slightly changed and streamlined within the ILLiad Client due to the CCC's API changes. Finally, we have made several additional small changes to ILLiad ourselves in order to help make the transition to the new web service as seamless as possible.
The CCC plans to eventually remove support for the old web service and APIs. This means that you will need to update your version of ILLiad as soon as possible to apply these changes and continue using the CCC copyright processing functionality in ILLiad. Otherwise, you may experience future disruptions to processing and submitting CCC copyright orders in the ILLiad Client. If you do not use the CCC copyright searching and ordering functions in ILLiad, this update is not required to continue your normal non-CCC copyright processing workflows.
You have two options for updating ILLiad to ensure that you are using the new web service:
- Perform the v9.1.4 point release update for the ILLiad Client.
- Perform the major update to ILLiad v9.2.
Changes to your ILLiad configuration may be necessary after updating ILLiad to use the new web service. Please review the information below and make any changes as necessary after performing your ILLiad update.
CCC Marketplace Account Now Required for Searching
The CCC no longer supports anonymous searching, meaning that you will need to create a CCC Marketplace account if your institution does not have one already in order to perform CCC searches in ILLiad. If your institution does not use ILLiad to perform CCC copyright searches and orders, then you will not need to set up a CCC Marketplace account after updating. For more information on using the Process Copyright screen without a CCC account after the update, see Using ILLiad Copyright Processing Without a CCC Marketplace Account After the 9.1.4/9.2 Update.
After a new CCC account is created for your institution, you must configure it to work with ILLiad using the CCCUsername and CCCPassword keys in the ILLiad Customization Manager. Accounts can be created on the CCC's website:
- Note that when creating an account, you will need to select to create a corporate account and not an individual account. If your existing CCC account is an individual account, you will need to create a separate corporate account to use with ILLiad.
- After creating your account, you will need to contact the CCC to request to switch your default payment method to invoice. If your payment method is not switched, you will not be able to submit copyright orders through ILLiad. All new accounts created within the past 6 months will need to complete this step before processing copyright orders.
ILLiad Customization Manager Configuration Changes
- Copyright searching now requires valid CCC account credentials to be configured in the ILLiad Customization Manager. Please ensure that your CCCUsername and CCCPassword customization keys located in the Borrowing | Copyright section are properly configured with your institution's account information.
- CCC orders must now include a billing address, which is drawn from the BillingAddress fields for each ILLiad site configured in the Customization Manager's LocalInfo table. Please ensure that all BillingAddress fields for your ILLiad sites in this table have values configured and that these values match the billing address on your CCC Marketplace account.
- If your institution operates in multiple countries, your institutional CCC account may contain multiple Location IDs that will now need to be configured in the ILLiad Customization Manager:
- If your institution only operates in a single country, no configuration changes are required and you should not make any changes to the CCCLocation key in the Customization Manager.
If your institution operates in more than one country and your CCC account contains multiple CCC Location IDs, each site should configure the new CCCLocation customization key with the CCC Location ID relevant to each site. This key can be found in the Customization Manager under Borrowing | Copyright. Please contact the CCC directly to obtain the proper Location ID information.
The CCCLocation key will be added to the Customization Manager automatically after performing the ILLiad 9.2 update. If you are performing the 9.1.4 ILLiad Client update to implement the new web service, you can manually add this key by creating the following entry in the Customization table (please note that only sites operating in multiple countries that need to configure CCC Location IDs in ILLiad should add this key):
CustKey CCCLocation Value NVTGC ILL Description CCC location for order related actions. AdminCat Borrowing AdminKey Copyright AdminType StringValue
Copyright Processing Changes in the ILLiad Client
Various changes were made to the copyright search and ordering process in the ILLiad Client and to the ILLiad Copyright web reports to adjust to the changes made by the CCC in its new web service. Some functionality, such as canceling copyright orders, was removed by the CCC in the new APIs and now must be performed directly through the CCC's web interface. Other functionality, such as searching for an item's rightsholder, has been maintained but slightly changed and streamlined within the ILLiad Client due to the CCC's API changes. Please review each section below for more information on the updated copyright processing tools and workflows now available in ILLiad.
Copyright Search Changes
The following changes were made to both the Process Copyright screen on the Copyright ribbon and the Copyright tab on the ILLiad Borrowing Request form:
- Searching now requires valid CCC account credentials to be configured in the ILLiad Customization Manager. If your CCC credentials are invalid, you will see an error message stating "Error communicating with CCC." upon attempting a copyright search. If you receive this error, please see the Configuration Changes section for troubleshooting information.
- Removed the option to search by publisher.
- Searching is now only possible for one parameter at a time. If both a Title and ISSN are present when the Auto Search option is selected, the ISSN will be used to perform the search. The larger search button used to search by multiple parameters has been replaced by a Clear Search button.
- Searching will no longer return multiple rightsholders to choose from in the search results grid. The CCC will now automatically handle selecting the correct rightsholder based on the item's publication year.
- Results will not be returned for items requiring a CCC Special Order (see next bullet point below).
- For any publications for which it is not possible to determine permissions or copyright costs (including those requiring a special order), the copyright search form will display a message stating "Unable to retrieve permissions" or "Unable to retrieve estimate." You may also either see no search results at all for a transaction or "Denied" in the Right field. In all such cases, the Save CCC Information button will be disabled and these items will need to be ordered using an alternative source or manually ordered through the CCC website.
- The "Granted" status previously used in the Right field has been changed to "Licensing Available."
Copyright Order Handling Changes
The following changes have been made to copyright order handling in the ILLiad Client to reflect the new order handling process implemented by the CCC in the latest version of its web service:
- Previously, multiple transactions would be grouped under a single invoice number when a copyright order was placed for multiple transactions at once. Each transaction would be assigned an Order Header number containing the group invoice number, and an Order Detail number containing that specific transaction's line-item ID number.
- Now, the CCC will treat each transaction as a separate invoice and each transaction will only be assigned a unique Order Detail number when a copyright order is placed. This number will display in the new Copyright Order field located on the ILLiad Borrowing Request form (see Fields Added to the Borrowing Request Form for more information).
Once a copyright order is placed through ILLiad, these individual transaction invoices will be grouped together by the CCC and sent to your institution on a single invoice for payment based on a frequency setting configured on your CCC account. By default, all invoices for submitted orders will be grouped together on a daily basis. This is by calendar date, meaning that all orders submitted from midnight to 11:59 pm on a given day will be grouped together.If you would like to change this frequency in order to group all orders submitted into one invoice on a monthly or semi-monthly basis, please contact CCC support.
The Order Header field will no longer be used to store copyright order information in ILLiad and will always contain a value of "" for all future transactions.
Upon updating to ILLiad v9.2, transactions with prior copyright orders that have pre-existing values within the OrderHeader and OrderDetail fields in the CopyrightSessions database table will have those values combined into one value in the OrderDetail field:
- If there is no value in the OrderDetail field for a transaction, then the value in the OrderHeader will be copied into the OrderDetail field.
- If both the OrderHeader and OrderDetail fields contain values, those values will be concatenated as one value in the OrderDetail field, with a format of <OrderHeader> / <OrderDetail>.
In either case, after the OrderHeader values are moved into the OrderDetail field, the OrderHeader field will be cleared out (i.e., it will contain a value of "").
Changes to the Borrowing Request Form
Several controls and fields have been added or removed from the ILLiad Borrowing Request form due to the functionality that was changed or removed from the new APIs by the CCC.
Controls Removed from the Borrowing Request Form
Due to the CCC's changes, it is no longer possible to check the status of an order or to cancel an order directly within ILLiad. As a result, the Order Status dropdown button and the Cancel Order button located within that dropdown have been removed from the ILLiad Borrowing Request form.
Fields Added to the Borrowing Request Form
The following changes have been made on the Copyright tab located within the Detail tab of the Borrowing Request form:
- Added the "Copyright Order" field that contains the transaction's Order Detail (invoice) number.
- Added an "Order Placed" checkbox which indicates if a copyright order has been placed for the transaction.
- Changed the label of the "CCC Number" number field to read "CCC Publication ID" for additional clarity.
Enabling the new fields
If the layout of your ILLiad Request form has been customized, you will have to add the new fields manually using the layout customization feature. Some things to note:
- After adding the Order Placed checkbox to the form, please right-click on the checkbox while the Customization form is still open and select Show Text from the dropdown menu to display the label.
- The CCC Number label will not automatically update to CCC Publication ID. This text label will have to be changed manually to use the new wording.
Changes to Copyright Web Reports (v9.2 only)
The following changes were made to the Copyright web report in line with the changes to the copyright-related fields in the ILLiad Client detailed above:
- The CCC Number column has been renamed CCC Publication ID.
- The Order Detail column has been renamed CCC Order Number.
- The Order Header column has been removed.
The Copyright web report fields will map to the following ILLiad database fields after updating:
|Web Reports Label||Database Field|
CCC Publication ID (v9.2)
CCC Number (v9.1)
CCC Order Number (v9.2)
Order Detail (v9.1)
If you are experiencing errors when performing CCC copyright searches or when placing CCC orders after updating, please see CCC Account Credentials & Order Submission Errors for detailed troubleshooting information.