Ares user accounts can be created in the Ares client using the User form. Access the User form with the New User button on the Home form. Once a user has been created, user permissions can be assigned, user status can be set, and course and proxy information can be accessed and edited.
Create a new user using the New User button on the Ares home ribbon.
- From the Home form, click the New User button to open the User form.
- Enter a Username, Last Name, First Name, Library ID, Status and other necessary information into the appropriate sections of the Details tab.
- The Username and Library ID fields are required and must contain unique values.
- Click the Save button, located in the quick access toolbar, to save the newly created user account.
- If you attempt to close the form before saving the user, you will be prompted to save your changes.
- After clicking the Save button, a Set Password dialog displays.
- Enter a user password in the Set Password form and click OK.
- The new user is saved to the database and the User form displays the username in the title bar.
- The ribbon buttons, tabs and Notes field are now enabled.
The Username and LibraryID
The Username and Library ID fields must contain a value. If you attempt to bypass these fields without entering a value, a red X appears to the left of the field and you will not be able to proceed until a value has been entered in the field. In addition, the values in these fields must be unique to the new user. If the Username or Library ID are already assigned to a user, a red X appears to the left of the field and you will not be able to proceed until a unique value has been entered in the field. Hovering over the X by the Username displays a message that the Username has already been assigned. Hovering over the X by the Library ID displays the Username assigned to the duplicate Library ID.
The Expiration Date
The Expiration Date field, by default, is automatically set to one year from the current date.
Disabled Buttons, Tabs and Fields
All ribbon buttons, default tabs and the Notes field on the User form will not be enabled until the new user has been created and saved. Once the new user is saved, these features become active and edit to user information, including changing a user password, setting user permissions or clearing user status can be made on the User form. Note that any Addon tabs are always enabled and functional.
The City, State, and Zip fields in the User form are filled in automatically with default values. Change these values if necessary. See the table Database Fields Used in the Details Tab for more information about these and other fields on the User form. The Authentication Method is automatically set to Default.
If your library uses a non-Ares authentication method, your account holders already have a campus-wide password that they will use in Ares. Ares requires that you assign a new password when users are created in the client, however, if you are using a non-Ares authentication method you should set the Authentication Method field to Default in the User form. Staff will not have to communicate the new password to Ares, as patrons will use their regular campus-wide password to log into their Ares web account.