The Rapid Manager must be enabled and custom queues need to be configured in order for RAPID processing to work.
Borrowing requests can be sent to Rapid through a mediated (with staff assistance) or unmediated (fully automated) process. The unmediated process requires setting routing rules to move the request to the specific queues monitored by the ILLiad Rapid Manager service, such as the Awaiting RAPID Request Sending queue.
In order to process a request through RAPID, the request must have a valid ISSN or OCLC number in the form. The Rapid Manager looks for the Awaiting RAPID Request Sending queue every 10 minutes and attempts to send requests to Rapid using the ISSN or OCLC number provided.
- Process the request through copyright clearance as you would any other article request.
- If you have set up RAPID routing rules, requests will be automatically routed to Awaiting RAPID Request Sending.
- For information on setting up routing rules, please see Routing Rules for RAPID Requests.
- If you have not set up routing rules, manually route the request from Awaiting Request Processing to Awaiting RAPID Request Sending.
- The request is retrieved by Rapid, automatically matched with possible lenders, and moved to the Request Sent queue.
- When the Lender processes the request and fills it, the request status changes to notify you of request completion. For example, a request scanned and being sent by Odyssey moves to Awaiting Odyssey Processing.
- If the request is cancelled by the Lender, it will automatically route to the Awaiting Unfilled Processing queue. There will be a note stating the cancellation reason as either "Bad Citation" or "Unavailable."
You must include an ISSN or OCLC number on Rapid requests. Rapid cannot fill the request without this information, and will return the request to Awaiting Request Processing with the error message, "Unable to find matching Journal."
If all parameters for a Rapid request are correct, the Rapid Manager moves the ILLiad transaction to Request Sent. If the parameters needed by Rapid to manage the request are not correct the request will be rejected by Rapid and an error message sent explaining the rejection.
Routing of the request at this point depends upon the specific incorrect parameters. Requests with the incorrect parameters (i.e., missing ISSN or OCLC number) route back to Awaiting Request Processing. Rapid displays an error message explaining why it cannot fill the request, and the Lending String and System ID values are filled as "RAPID."
As of ILLiad v9.1, the RAPID Borrowing Request now have a more efficient way of updating requests when they have changed statuses in RAPID.
The ILLiad client will display live RAPID status updates on the Request Form similar to how ILLiad handles OCLC statuses. The full sequence of RAPID statuses for loan requests will display on the request form as they are updated. This includes the following statuses: Shipped, Received, Renewal Requested, Renewal Granted/Denied, Returned, Finished.
Through the use of the RAPID API functionality, ILLiad will check for changes in the borrowing shipped requests instead of looking at all Rapid requests that are at the status of "Request Sent" when attempting to determine if the lender has shipped the loan.