Grouping allows you to group data by columns other than the default Item column. Multiple columns can be grouped to break the data down further. Groups are displayed in a tree interface and can be expanded or collapsed. You work with the grouping commands by right-clicking on a column header to display the Customization Tool. Return to the default grid at any time by clicking on any header to display the Customization Tool and selecting Reset to Default View.
Arranging the Grid By Column
You can rearrange the placement of the columns in a grid.
- To simply rearrange the order of one or more of the columns, click and drag the columns to the order you choose.
- Here the Title column has been moved to the left of the Call Number column.
Arranging the Grid Using the Group by Box Option
The Group By Box option is a visual representation of what fields are being grouped and in what order.
- To display the group by box option, right click on the grid and click Group By Box.
- Notice above the grid, a small space appears that says, Drag a column header here to group by that column.
- Drag a column header into the Group by Box space. Notice the item requests are now displayed under each Author in the grid.
- If you are grouping multiple columns, you can order which grouping occurs first by dragging column headers above or below the other column headers in the space.
- The result of your grouping is displayed in the grid in a tree interface. Notice in the image the requests are grouped alphabetically, first by Author and then by Title.
Removing a Column from a Grouping
There are several ways to remove a column from a grouping.
- To remove a column from a grouping and return it to its former location in the grid, right click on the column header in the Group by Box space to open the Customization Tool and click Remove From Grouping.
- You can also drag the column header down into the grid until you see a large X. Release the mouse and the column returns to its former location in the grid. The requests are no longer grouped using that column.
- To remove a column and place it where you want within the grid, drag it out of the Group by Box space and place it back with the other column headers in the appropriate position.
- Two green triangles display to indicate where the column will be placed in the grid.
You remove a column from the Group by Box space and from the grid by dragging the column header outside of the grid until you see a large X. Release the mouse and the column will be removed from the grid.