Customers accessing the web interface using Basic ILLiad Authentication will need to be cleared manually in the Client. Authentication of new ILLiad customers should be performed periodically throughout the workday. Different sites will have different volumes of new subscribers. Authentication can require clearing, disavowing or merging the User. It is usually best to work out a schedule for authentication so that most, if not all, requests that are processed and sent by the ILL staff are for customers already cleared to use the system. When new users register with the system via the ILLiad web pages and need to be cleared by the ILL staff, the Users To Clear Alert in the System group on the Main page notifies you how many users need to be cleared and whether they are in Borrowing, Lending or the Document Delivery modules. On the Main page, double-clicking the Users to Clear Alert in the System group opens the Users to Clear form.
Be aware that the system allows uncleared users to place requests. Take this into account when working out a plan for customer clearance.
The Users To Clear Form
There are five sections in the Users to Clear form:
- Users to Clear: Customers who need to be cleared (or disavowed or merged).
- Similar Users: Customers in the database with similar names, usernames, SSN, IDNumber (when not blank) and Email Address display to alert you to possible duplicate customers you might want to merge.
- User Information: Detailed information for the selected record.
- Contact Information: Contact information for the selected record.
- User Accounts: You can review and edit account information before clearing the User and changes will be saved to the associated account.
Note that user information cannot be edited in the Users to Clear form. Double-clicking a user record will take you to the User Information form.
You can use the Similar Users list to verify that the customer has not previously registered with ILLiad. Click on a user in the list to pull up the User form for that user and compare the two. If a customer is on the Similar Users list they have already registered with ILLiad, they may not yet be at a cleared status.
- Click to choose the customer you want to clear in the Users to Clear section. The customer's information will show in the Customer Information and Contact Information fields at the bottom of the window.
- Check the customer's information to verify the customer can be cleared to use Interlibrary Loan.
- After verifying the customer's information is correct (or correcting it as needed), select Clear User from the Clear User Ribbon. If the record needs editing, double-click the record to be taken to the User Information form.
- The customer will immediately be cleared and disappear from the Users to Clear section.
- If the Send E-Mail button is highlighted, the cleared customer will receive an automatically-generated email welcoming him/her as an ILLiad user.
- If the Edit E-Mail button is highlighted, the system allows you to edit the email before sending.
Uncleared Users can be cleared from the User Information form as well as from the Users to Clear form. If an Uncleared User has submitted requests, the Request form notifies you of the Uncleared status by displaying a yellow warning icon next to the Username and posting "User Not Cleared" in red, on the Status Bar at the bottom of the page.
User Billing Accounts
Billing Accounts associated with a user are visible in the Users to Clear form. You can review and edit account information before clearing the User and changes will be saved to the associated account.
Before merging user records, please consider what makes these user records 'Similar Users'. While a user record with the same SSN is most likely the same user, a user with the same first letter of their last name might not be the same user.
The Similar Users list is populated by a SQL query if one or more of the following criteria are true regarding the currently selected user and similar user records:
- Last Name starts with the same first letter
- SSN field name/number is the same
- Email is the same
And ALL of the following are true:
- User must be cleared and they cant be DIS
- Username can't be Lending, Unmatched, or any other default DeliveryLocations
- The User Name can't be the same as the selected User Name
If multiple results meet these criteria, then they are placed in order by Last Name, then First Name, then User Name.
SELECT * FROM Usersall
WHERE (LastName LIKE 'P%'
OR SSN = ''
OR EMailAddress = 'firstname.lastname@example.org'
AND Cleared <> 'DIS'
AND Username <> 'Lending'
AND Username <> 'Unmatched'
AND Username NOT IN (SELECT Symbol FROM DeliveryLocations)
AND Username <> 'POTTER'
AND NVTGC in ('TLS','Training','Support')
ORDER BY LastName, FirstName, Username