These instructions explain how to set up a Z39.50 connection with Polaris through the ILLiad Customization Manager, allowing you to easily search your library's holdings within the ILLiad client interface.
The Z39.50 server settings for Polaris do not come standard in the default installation of ILLiad.
Setting up the Z39.50 connection
- Login to your ILLiad Customization Manager.
- Click the Z39.50 ribbon located near the top of the Customization Manager window.
- From the Z39.50 ribbon click on the New button and select Other from the drop-down menu that appears. A form will appear in the content frame of the Customization Manager.
- The Connection section of the form consists of values specific to your library's Polaris database installation, including server address, port, database name, username, and password. If you do not know these values, you should contact your Polaris system administrator. You can name the connection whatever you like.
The Searching section of the form should contain the following values. Remember to input these values directly into the form, do not copy and paste. ILLiad recognizes variations in the font that can affect the performance of your Z39.50 connection.
System Number Search
@attr 1=12 "ocm<#SystemNumber>"
@attr 1=4 "<#Title>"
@attr 1=1 "<#Author>"
@attr 1=7 "<#ISBN>"
Keyword Author Search
@attr 1=1 @attr 4=1 @attr 3=3
Keyword Title Search
@attr 1=4 @attr 4=1 @attr 3=3
The Result Mapping section of the form should contain the following values. Remember to input these values directing into the form, do not copy and paste. ILLiad recognizes variations in the font that can affect the performance of your z.30.50 connection.
Select MARC from the drop-down menu
Select Value from the drop-down menu
Not Available Type
Not Available Text
- Once all values have been input click the Save button located in the Z39.50 ribbon at the top of the Customization Manager window. Make sure the connection is active by selecting it from the Select Server button also located in the Z39.50 ribbon of the Customization Manager window.
- Your Z39.50 connection to Polaris is now complete. If your ILLiad client is open, close and re-open for the changes to take effect.