The Atlas SQL Alias Manager, or SAM, is used in the process of creating and maintaining database connection (DBC) files referred to as SQL Aliases. These aliases are used by ILLiad when performing any database operation. Connections between the versions of ILLiad that use the .NET framework and the SQL Server are managed using the SQL Alias Manager.
The SQL Alias Manager shows available products and DBC files listed on the left with database connection information for the selected DBC file in the middle. Logon accounts for Shared Server systems are listed on the right.
If you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8, you will need to open the SQL Alias Manager using the Run as Administrator feature. Do not double click the Alias Manager icon to open it. Instead, right click on the Alias Manager icon and select Run as administrator.
The .DBC File
The SQL Alias Manager creates a logon dbc file that stores the SQL server connection string information and the ILLiad site information and password. This file is encrypted and it can only be opened using the SQL Alias Manager. If you have already specified this file using the SQL Alias Manager, it will automatically open the next time you open the SQL Alias Manager. You can have multiple logon dbc files on a machine and each one you've opened in the SQL Alias Manager will be listed.
Location of the .DBC File
Where you save this file is stored in the registry and will be used by all the different ILLiad components on that machine that use the Alias Manager. The current default DBC file for the machine is displayed at the bottom of the Alias Manager in the status bar. To select a specific DBC file to use for the system, choose it on the list on the left and hit the Set Default button in the ribbon.
Since the SQL Alias Manager encrypts the dbc file, a staff user can't see any passwords saved in the file. Opening the file in the Alias Manager will not display the passwords and will also not allow copying of the passwords using the clipboard.
Creating a New Database Connection
Each computer that will be using the ILLiad Client will need the SQL Alias Manager (SAM) installed and configured in order for ILLiad to work. The SAM will be installed by default when installing the ILLiad Client and a shortcut will display on the desktop.
You will likely need to right click on the SQL Alias Manager icon and select Run as Administrator to complete the configuration steps below.
- Right click on the SQL Alias Manager icon and select Run as Administrator.
- Click the New button on the ribbon interface. A menu will appear.
- Click ILLiad to create a new profile for ILLiad.
- In the middle Database Connection column, fill in your ILLiad server address.
- Fill in your ILLiadDatabase name. The default is ILLiadData.
- Leave the Connect Timeout checkbox blank. This will be populated with the default values when the profile is saved. Also, leave the Username and Password fields blank unless instructed otherwise by your database administrator.
- If your SQL server supports SSL, you can check the Secure box. This will encrypt the connection to the SQL server.
- Click Save to save the profile alias. Atlas recommends saving the file as your databasename.dbc (e.g. ILLiaddata.dbc) in the folder where the client program files are saved. The default is C:\Program Files(x86)\ILLiad\logon.dbc. Please see Creating a New ILLiad DBC File for more information.
- After saving the alias, click the Set Default button to set that alias as the default alias to use on that computer.
Shared Server (Satellite Site)
- On the far right, at the bottom of the Logon Accounts section of the SAM
- Enter the first site code as the username, and the password associated with that site as the password.
- A description can be added but is not required.
Note: If no one locally has the passwords associated with those site logons, please contact support.
- Save the newly added Logon account using the Save button in the Accounts section of the top ribbon.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for any other sites on the system.
- When all sites have been added and they all appear in the Logon Accounts list in the SAM, re-save the database connection using the Save button in the File section of the top ribbon.
Note that there are two Save buttons used in setting up the shared server configuration. Be sure to use the Save option in the Accounts section (indicated with a card and pencil icon) first when adding the account username and password and then finish saving the whole record with the Save option in the File section (indicated with a floppy disk icon).
Setting an Alias for the Web Pages
ILLiad uses the dbc file exclusively to connect to the database so an additional .dbc file needs to be created for the default web pages. After updating ILLiad, create a logon.dbc file for the web pages. This file should be located in the same folder as the ILLiad.dll, which is by default inetpub\wwwroot\ILLiad.
This step is exclusively used when setting up a locally hosted server, not for desktop Client installation.
Removing an Alias
Because the aliases are directly attached to .dbc files, removing an alias can be done simply by deleting the associated .dbc file.
Using an Alternate Username and Password
If you have configured your ILLiad server with a different username/password or if your server has multiple sites, you will need to enter that different username/password in the fields for the alias. Atlas can provide you with those alternate values as needed. Otherwise, the default values assigned while making the alias will work best.