The Ares 5.0 Server Installer fails to complete the server update and displays the following error message: "Error 1303: The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Ares\Web\WebService\App_Data. The installation cannot continue."
You may also subsequently receive the following error when canceling the installation: "Error 1712. One or more of the files required to restore your computer to its previous state cannot be found. Restoration will not be possible."
These errors indicate that the server update has failed. The existing state of the server prior to running the Ares Server Installer will be maintained without changes.
To resolve these errors:
- Ensure that the C:\Ares\Web\WebService\App_Data directory exists on the Ares Server.
- If this directory does not exist, it must be created. For example, if the App_Data folder is missing within the Ares WebService folder, the App_Data folder must be manually created.
- If the directory does exist, check the permissions for the user account running the Ares Server Installer and modify them if necessary. The user running the installer must have Read & execute, List folder contents, Read, and Special permissions enabled on the WebService folder.
- Once the issue has been identified and corrected, run the Ares Server Installer and re-attempt the server update process.
- Contact Atlas Support at email@example.com if the error persists.