The Ares server installation file is downloaded from the Atlas Systems web pages and run on your Ares server. This file will install the Ares Server which includes the Ares database, services, and other files. These will install automatically upon running the Ares server installation file.
Obtaining the Ares Server Installation File
You will need to contact Atlas Systems for credentials to access the installation files listed below. Contact us at email@example.com or 1-800-567-7401 ext. #1.
Please note that each major version of Ares (220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124) requires its own installer.
If, for example, you are on version 4.4 and are updating to version 4.6.5, you would first need to run the 4.5 server installer, then the 4.6 installer, and then the 126.96.36.199 installer.
Only the minor versions between the major versions can be skipped when you are updating to the latest version(4.5.2 when updating to version 4.6 for example).
So, if you were on version 4.5 and wanted to update, to the latest version 188.8.131.52, you need to install 4.6 and then 184.108.40.206.
If you do not see the installer version you need or are unsure of which files to install, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ares 220.127.116.11 Server Installer
Ares 18.104.22.168 Server Installer
Ares 22.214.171.124 Server Installer
Ares 126.96.36.199 Server Installer
Ares 188.8.131.52 Server Installer
Ares 184.108.40.206 Server Installer
Ares Update after 4.5 - 1/15/2015
Note that the Ares Client Installer is available from Prometheus under the Ares Downloads.
Installing the Server
- Locate the Ares Server Installer file AresServerSetup.exe for the correct version using the links above.
- Enter the username and password provided by Atlas Systems and click OK.
- Click on the Ares Server Installer and select Save to save the file to your desktop.
- The default download location for the file is the server desktop. Click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
- When the download is complete, select Close and begin the installation.
Installing the Ares Server Files
Once you have downloaded the AresServerSetup.exe file to your Ares server desktop, you will need to install the Ares server files.
- Right-click the AresServerSetup.exe icon and select Run as administrator.
- An InstallShield Wizard screen will open. Click Next to begin the installation.
- Enter the web address for the Ares server. The default address is 127.0.0.1. This is the IP address of the SQL server to be used by the Ares software. The Ares web application, supporting applications, and all clients will need to be able to connect to your SQL server. Click Next.
- Enter the Ares Docs Path. The default directory for the Ares Docs is c:\ares\aresdocs\. This is the location for electronic documents on the web server and will be the largest folder used by Ares. Be sure to place it on a drive with adequate space. Click Next.
- Is the SQL Server located on this machine? Select Yes or No. This will be the directory location for the Ares Database and SQL backup files. If the database is located on a remote server, the folder must already be created and the address must be the local path to the SQL server. Click Next.
- Enter the Ares Database Name. The default Ares database name is AresData. This is what the SQL database will be named when it is created by the installer. If a database already exists for Ares, the installer still needs to know the name of the existing database to properly configure the components being installed. Click Next.
- Would you like to complete a SQL backup before updating? Select Yes or No. Click Next.
- If you selected Yes to perform a backup, select the Ares Database Backup Location. The default SQL backup file path is c:\aresdata\backup\. This is the directory path where the SQL server will create scheduled backups of the Ares database. Click Next.
- Select database server and authentication method. The default database server is 127.0.0.1. The default Login ID is sa. This is the Login ID and Password to the SQL server where the Ares database is or should be installed. The Login ID entered must have sufficient permissions to create and modify both users and tables. Click Next.
- The Installation Wizard is prepared to install your Ares Server software. During the install process, a Setup Status screen will show the InstallShield Wizard installing the Ares Server, web pages, services, database, etc. Click Install to being the installation.
Windows Security permissions must be set for both the PublicDocs folder and the TempUpload folder. If staff will use FTP to upload documents, the FTP account must have read/write permissions to the PublicDocs folder.
If staff will upload documents via the client, the staff user accounts will need read/write permissions to the PublicDocs folder. The anonymous web user will need read/write permissions to the PublicDocs folder and TempUpload folder.
Installing the Ares Client on the Server
If you want to install the Ares client, Customization Manager, Staff Manager, etc. on your Ares Server, you will need to run the Ares Client installer.
See Installing the Ares Client for instructions.