The borrowing renewal process can be configured in several ways. The configurations control to how your patrons request renewals and how you manage the process in the Client. The Customization Manager keys that control ILLiad processing for renewals are reviewed here.
Level of Staff Intervention Required for Customer-Initiated Renewals
Web Interface | General | AutomaticRenewals
- This key controls the level of staff intervention required to complete the ILLiad and the status of the request if the renewal is initiated by the patron.
All renewal requests require some level of staff intervention for processing no matter what configuration method is selected.
- Automatic Renewals Set to Yes (Batch Request Processing)
- If this key is set to Yes, the transaction is updated to the status of Renewed by Customer until mm/dd/yy.
- Processing requires staff to click the Send OCLC Renewal Requests button on the Borrowing ribbon to send renewal requests. Renewal requests for all transactions in this status will be sent in a batch to OCLC.
- Automatic Renewals Set to No (Individual Request Processing)
- If this key is set to No, the transaction is updated to the status of Renewal Requested.
- Processing requires staff to open the queue and then any request in the queue and clicking the Request Renewal button on the Borrowing Processing ribbon of the request form. The renewal request for that transaction is then sent to OCLC. Each request in this status must be processed individually in this manner.
Borrowing Renewal Days
Borrowing | Renewals | BorrowingRenewalDays
- The number of days to automatically add to the due date when a user requests a renewal or when staff initiates a renewal.
- Default is 14 days.
Borrowing | Check In | CheckInDefaultAllowRenewals
- The default for Allow Renewals checkbox on Borrowing check in from lending library form.
- Set this value to No if you do not want patrons to have the ability to request renewals.
Borrowing renewals can be limited to a specific date range relative to the due date. If patrons request a renewal outside of this window, they will receive the error message set in the SLRenewalWindow key in the Customization Manager.
Two keys are used to establish this window:
- Web Interface | Renewals | RenewalWindowDays: Number of days before due date when a customer can begin requesting a renewal.
- Web Interface | Renewals | RenewalBeforeWindowDays: Number of days before due date when a customer can no longer request a renewal.
- A value of 1 means the request can be renewed up to (and including) the day before the due date.
- A value of 0 means the request can be renewed up to (and including) the due date.
- A value of -1 means the request can be renewed up to (and including) the day after the due date.
- If a customer can request renewals from two weeks before the due date until, and including, the day it is due, the keys would be set to 14 for RenewalWindowDays and 0 for RenewalBeforeWindowDays.