This step is for self-hosted sites only. Sites with servers hosted by OCLC or Atlas Systems will need to contact their server provider to have an account created for them.
These instructions were written using Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2012 and SQL Server Management Studio. If you have different versions, the screens and process may vary slightly from the steps outlined here.
Adding the ILLiadLink Login
- On your ILLiad Server or on any machine currently connected to the ILLiad server, open SQL Server Management Studio.
- Double click on the Security folder to expand it.
- Right click on the Logins folder and select New Login.
- Verify that you are in the General page of the Login screen.
- Type the Login name in the space provided. Atlas Systems suggests using the name ILLiadLink, but you can name this anything you would like.
- Select SQL Server authentication.
- Type in a password for your login name. Be sure to use the same password consistently throughout this setup.
- Check or uncheck the 3 password enforcement options according to your institution's specific password policy.
- Under Default database select ILLData (or the name of your ILLiad database).
- Click OK. The window will close and you will be back on the main page.
- Double click on the Logins folder to expand it.
- Double click on the new ILLiadLink icon.
- In the properties screen, click the User Mapping page to open it.
- Under Users mapped to this login check the box next to the ILLData(or the name of your ILLiad database).
- ILLiadLink will now appear as a user next to the database name.
- Click OK to close the window.
Setting Permissions for the ILLiadLink Login
You will want to give user ILLiadLink read access to all tables in the ILLData database. You do this by making the login a member of the Role Member db_datareader.
- Navigate to the ILLiadLink user under Databases | ILLData | Security | Users | ILLiadLink.
- Double click to open the ILLiadLink user.
- Verify that you are in the Membership page of the screen.
- Under Database role membership check the box next to db_datareader.
- Click OK to close the window,
Testing the ILLiadLink Permissions
You can test the ILLiadLink permissions by logging into the SQL Server Management Studio using the ILLiadLink login and password and running a simple query.
If you receive any errors during this process, review the Adding the ILLiadLink Login and Setting Permissions for the ILLiadLink Login sections above to make sure the link was created correctly.
- If you have SQL Server Management Studio open, close it.
- Open SQL Server Management Studio again.
- To log in to your ILLiadLink user account, select SQL Server Authentication.
- Enter your ILLiadLink login and password.
- Click Connect.
- On the main screen, click New Query.
In the open space type a simple query such as:
select * from customization
- Click Execute to run the query.
- Query results will appear in a grid at the bottom of the screen along with the message Query executed successfully.