LTI (Learning Tools Operability) is a standard that allows applications like Ares to integrate with platforms such as course/learning management systems. LTI is also known as Basic LTI. LTI is developed by IMS Global. See the IMS Global website for further definition and history of LTI.
Please contact Atlas Systems at email@example.com or 1-800-567-7401 ext. #1 for assistance with LTI setup.
In order to successfully connect Ares with your course/learning management system (CMS), we recommend involving the following people:
- Atlas Systems customer support agent
- Your Course Reserves staff
- Your Course Reserves IT support (access to Ares Customization Manager)
- Your course/learning management system administrator
Most course/learning management systems are LTI compliant and can be integrated with Ares using LTI. See the IMS Global Learning Tools Interoperability Catalog and view which LTI versions are supported by each product. We recommend learning more about LTI and your specific course/learning management system in preparation for Ares integration. You can find explanation and examples for LTI here: http://developers.imsglobal.org/tutorials.html.
Commonly used LTI configuration links
IMS Global has compiled instructions for using LTI with some commonly used course/learning management systems:
- Blackboard: https://help.blackboard.com/en-us/Learn/9.1_SP_10_and_SP_11/Administrator/120_System_Integration/LTI_Tool_Providers
- Canvas: http://guides.instructure.com/s/2204/m/4152/l/74482-how-do-i-configure-an-external-tool-for-a-course-using-a-url
- Brightspace Desire2Learn (D2L): https://documentation.desire2learn.com/en/Learning-Tools-Interoperability-standards-support
- Sakai: https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/LTI/Home
- Moodle: http://www.somerandomthoughts.com/blog/2011/11/28/moodle-2-supports-connecting-to-ims-lti-tools/
Ares LTI Customization Keys
If you are linking Ares with a course/learning management system, there are three tables in the Ares Customization Manager you will need to populate:
- LTIConsumers table
- LTIFieldMappings table
- WebServiceAgents table
Both of these tables can be located in the Ares Customization Manager at System | Integration.
If you are linking more than one Course Management System with Ares through LTI, each system will need a separate entry in this table.
Supplied by you- the key/username for authentication between Ares
Supplied by you- the password for authentication between Ares and
A comma-delimited list of all of the roles from your CMS that will
|Ares Web URL||
This field is only needed if you use multiple CMS systems that use
|Ares Field Name||
The Ares field you want that LTI value to import into (FirstName,
|Ares Object Name||
Either Course or User
|LTI Field Name||
*The field in the CMS system (context_title or user_id, etc.)
*See http://developers.imsglobal.org/toolcompare.html for a list of parameters available for different CMS systems.
This table value is set by default to Axis/1.3, but may need to be changed to fit your specific settings.