Items lent through ILL may at times need to be recalled by the lending institution. These recalls may come in several ways. Some possible means of receiving recall notices are as follows:
- The item is recalled on OCLC.
- You receive a phone call or letter from the lending institution.
Downloading OCLC Recalled Notices with the ILLiad Connection Manager
Recalled notices will be downloaded along with the rest of the OCLC Borrowing Download each time the ILLiad Connection Manager performs that function. When these recall notices are imported into ILLiad, the corresponding transactions are moved to a status of Awaiting Recalled Processing, which will display in the Borrowing Request Group section of the Main Page.
Automated Recall of Items
The Recall process can be partially automated by setting up an Email Routing option in your ILLiad database. This automated recall process is now a part of the basic ILLiad setup. For older ILLiad systems, this Email routing option may not exist in your system. If you set up the Recall Email Routing option locally rather than as part of your initial ILLiad installation, your system may look and behave slightly differently than the process described here.
- Double-click on the Awaiting Recalled Processing status to open the Request Form for the recalled item.
- Change the Due Date to whatever date you deem appropriate in order to get the item back to the lender. Click the Save icon. (You will be prompted to save the changes if you forget to do this).
- Under the Send E-mail ribbon icon, choose Loan Recall. An Email form will appear.
- As with most ILLiad email forms, you may edit the message prior to sending if you wish. Click the Send icon to send the e-mail to the customer.
- The customer will receive the email recall notification and the transaction will be moved back to Checked Out to Customer status.
The customer will begin to receive overdue notifications, according to the rules governing your ILLiad system, after the new Due Date has passed, unless the item has been returned.
If you want the status to change to Loans Recalled from Patrons when you send the email, toggle on the Change Status on Send icon.
Manual Recall of Items
Open the Request Form for the recalled item. Change the Due Date to whatever date you deem appropriate in order to get the item back to the lender. Click the Save icon to save your changes. Call or email the customer to notify him/her of the recall. The customer will begin to receive overdue notifications, according to the rules governing your ILLiad system, after the new Due Date has passed, unless the item has been returned.