The Ares Staff Client will now check to see if a newer version of the Client is available, download, and install the update.
- If an update is available, the client will display an update prompt. If the user clicks yes to the update prompt, the installer will download from the server and execute the update process.
- When and update is available, the client will determine if that update is required to connect to the server.
- For example, if your Ares server is on 5.1 but your Client is Ares 5.0, an update is required before you can continue using the Client. If the update is required but the user does not want to update at that moment, the Client will simply exit.
- If the update is optional and within the same major version, such as from 4.7.0 to 4.7.1, the Client will continue with normal operations if the user declines to update at that moment.
- Only updates applicable to the current server version will display as available, even if a newer version has been released.
- The default location used for checking available updates can be changed from the Atlas Update Server URL to the value set in the AtlasServerRepositoryUrl customization key. This will allow sites to centrally configure where their Clients are looking for updates. The key value should only be changed for sites who are beta testing new releases or for those whom we've created a specific point release.
In some cases, a Client update may be required even if the server update was minor. This doesn't usually happen because we prefer to avoid database changes outside of major updates, but occasionally we've been forced to do so to address a bug and the auto-update functionality allows for us to specify when a Client update is required even if it's within the same major version.