Self-hosted sites should update their server using the ILLiad Server Automatic Updater (AutoUpdater). You will first update the AutoUpdater to the latest version, then you will update the server to the latest version of ILLiad. See ILLiad Server Automatic Updater for more information on the AutoUpdater.
Updating the AutoUpdater
The first step is to update the AutoUpdater.
- Run the ILLiadUpdate file as administrator (by right-clicking on the file and selecting the Run as administrator option). The update file is found at C:\illiad\Admin\ILLiadUpdate.
- You will be prompted to log into your database using your Username and Password. Once you click OK you will be directed to the AutoUpdater.
- If you are on the latest version of ILLiad, the only available update you will see (in the Available Updates box) will be for the AutoUpdater.
- Click Start ILLiad Server Update.
- Because you are only updating the AutoUpdater, you do not need to perform a database backup or reboot at this time.
- When you close the AutoUpdater the file will automatically replace itself with the newer version.
Updating the Server
You can now update your server with the latest ILLiad files.
- Reopen the Updater by clicking the ILLiad Update icon again. You are again prompted to log into your database.
- This time when the AutoUpdater opens, the Available Updates list includes all of the files for the newest update.
- Click Start ILLiad Server Update.
- You will need to perform a backup of your database before you update these files. When prompted to confirm database backup, click Yes.
- The update will begin by stopping the web server to replace the web circ and web reports files.
- Next, all of the available updates will download, any necessary SQL scripts will run, and any shared components are installed.
- When you are prompted to reboot your server, click OK.
- Once the update has finished you can close the AutoUpdater.
Updating the Client
After updating the server, the client will prompt you to update it to the latest version as well. If you have not previously installed the client you will need to download and install it.
- Click to open the ILLiad client.
- A dialog box will appear and ask if you want to update the client.
- To update the client, click Yes.
The Client Updater updates or installs the ILLiad Client, ILLiad Customization Manager, and ILLiad Staff Manager. Note that the default location for the client installation is C:\Program Files\ILLiad\. When new versions of the ILLiad client become available, the ILLiad client will automatically prompt you to update and download the latest files necessary. Note that administrative privileges are needed for major updates (8.6, 8.7) but are not needed for minor updates, such as 8.7.x or 8.7.x.x.
Rebooting the Server
Once the server and client update has finished, reboot your server to ensure the latest updated components are started and running.
ISO and Java Version 8
Follow these steps if you are a self-hosted site who uses ISO:
- Java must be updated to version 8 after the ILLiad 8.7 update. Download it here.
- After installing the Runtime environment, replace the Java “bin” path (e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\jre8\bin) to the system PATH environment variable in Windows.
- Open an Administrative Command prompt, and enter the following command:
java -jar ILLiadISOService.jar
This will generate a new InstallService.bat file and extract the ISOInstall.class file.
- Run the InstallService.bat file by double-clicking it or calling it from the command line. You may be prompted to add information to the registry - respond yes. When it tells you the information was successfully added, click OK. This will install the ILLiad ISO Service as a Windows service, which you may access through the Services list in the Computer Management Console.