These release notes document all feature enhancements and changes included in Ares Version 4.5, which will be released 16 December 2014. The current release notes document only additions and changes to the software and should be used together with the most recent Ares Documentation.
These release notes also include the Ares 4.5.x.0 point releases and updates:
Download the Ares 4.5 Client, web pages, CMS addons, and SSRS reports by going to Ares 4.5 Downloads.
See Ares 4.5 Web Page Changes for a complete list of new web pages added in Ares 4.5 as well as code snippets for all changes made.
Ares 4.5 Highlights
- Tie customization keys and Items to a specific processing location
- Display more user-friendly Item statuses on the web
- See Item Count and Instructor Item Count fields in the client
- Specify a From Name and From Address in email templates
Features in Ares 4.5
Because of framework changes, Windows XP is no longer supported with Ares. Ares is now supported on Windows 8.1 (Client), Windows Server 2012R2, and SQL Server 2014 (Server). See System Requirements for more information.
Ares 4.5 now targets the .NET 4.5.1 framework. This will be installed by the Ares server updater and Ares client installer if not already installed, and your Ares server and client machines must be restarted after installation to apply the changes.
Ares now allows customization keys to be set for a specific Ares processing location.
- The ProcessingLocation field has been added to the Customization and CustomizationTracking tables
- A Processing Location dropdown menu has been added to the Ares Customization Manager home screen
- Each customization key has a processing location that is set as the default processing location. New site-specific keys can be added for additional processing locations.
- New Items will be associated with its Course's processing and pickup location
Item Status on the Web
You can now display an alias in place of the default wording for a status on the Ares web pages.
- The DisplayStatuses table has been added to the Ares database
- The table uses regular expressions to display the alias status
See Item Status on the Web for more information and instructions.
From Name and Address
Staff users can now specify a From name and address in email templates.
- Two fields have been added to email templates: From Name and From Address
- Four new customization keys have been added to the database: EmailFromAddressInstructor, EmailFromNameInstructor, EmailFromAddressRightsholder, and EmailFromNameRightsholder.
See Creating and Editing Email Templates for more information.
Auto Create Users
Ares now has the ability to create Course Users as a distinct part of the Courseload process. There are now four separate customization keys that control different facets of the loading process.
- The CourseUserLoadEnabled, UserCreationEnabled, CourseCreationEnabled, and CourseUserManagementEnabled keys have been added to the Ares database
- To disable the entire loading process, all keys need to be set to No (this is the default value for each key)
See Configuring Course and User Loading for more information and instructions.
The ItemFileCleanup process has changed, and now only supports deleting or keeping files that are no longer active. Additionally, this process will not actually delete files.
- The ItemFileCleanupDelete customization key has been added. This key replaces the ItemFileCleanupAction key, and only supports Yes/No values. Note that this key will be set to No for all sites regardless of the old value of the ItemFileCleanupAction key
- The ItemFileCleanupAction and ItemFileCleanupMoveTo customization keys were deleted
- The ItemFileCleanupGraceDays customization key will be set to 365 if its value was less than 365
See Configuring Item Cleanup for more details.
- Item Count and Instructor Item Count now display for Courses in the Ares client. Item Count is all Items that are available and active, and Instructor Item Count is all Items that are not cancelled.
- The Remove Flag button on the Item form will now only be enabled if there are other flags on the Item besides "Item In Processing." In addition, a flag icon will display on the bottom left of the form when the Item is flagged.
- Customization key tags can now be added to email templates in the Ares Customization Manager. Tags can either be added through a new customization menu or manually with the following formatting: <#Customization.CourseUserLoadEnabled>.
- When an Item is uploaded, Ares will check to see if the related electronic file exists in the PublicDocs folder. If it does not exist, it will be uploaded to the folder.
- An Item with multiple page ranges (e.g. 3-6, 8-10) can be submitted through Ares as an order to the Copyright Clearance Center for only those specific pages. Previous to Ares 4.5, this could only be done through the CCC website.
- Ares has been updated to use version 11.12 of the QuickPDF library.
- Ares has been updated to use version 13.2.9 of DevEx.
- The tabindex attribute was removed from all default web pages to ensure that tabbing occurs in the source order.
- The option to process routing rules has been added to the Ares System Manager's route addon command. See Configuring Server Addons for Ares for more information.
- The connection method to web services (such as those used for Copyright Clearance Center) was modified to not require the use of SSL v3.0.
Corrected Issues in Ares 4.5
- Bug 9602: In some cases, refreshing the Pending Emails form was causing an unhandled exception. This has been corrected, and this error will no longer occur.
- Bug 9620: Trying to customize grids using pop-up controls was causing the Ares client to freeze. This issue has been corrected, and grid customization in pop-up menus has been disabled except for resizing columns.
- Bug 9659: When adding an authorized User to a Course in the Ares client, the instructional text box incorrectly stated that usernames could be added. This was incorrect, and the text has been edited to indicate that only library IDs are supported.
- Bug 9780: When typing into the Instructor Username field on the New Course form, the first result was populating the field regardless of what username was selected. This has been corrected, and will no longer occur.
See Ares 4.5 Web Pages Changes for details and examples on each of the following changes.
- Bug 9747: The "Must be for courses I am currently enrolled in" checkbox on the USearch.html web page had no supporting code. To correct this issue, this checkbox and option has been removed.
- Bug 9758: The #ERROR tag for Issue was incorrectly referencing Volume instead on the following web pages: IRFArticle.html, IRFEditArticle.html, ISLRFArticle.html, and ISLRFEditArticle.html.
- Bug 9781: The description of a Course proxy was inaccurate on the Ares web pages. It formerly read, "Users in this list will have the ability to administer this course. Add new users by entering their username below." This description now reads, "Users in this list will have the ability to administer your courses and add new courses on your behalf. Add new users by entering their usernames below."
- Bug 9823: The ChangeUserInformation.html web page was missing a <br> tag after the Address2 field. This has been corrected, and the tag has been added.
- Bug 9826: The Label for CallNumber on the IRFVideo.html and ISLRFVideo.html webpages incorrectly contained a space between "Call" and "Number." This has been corrected, and the spaces have been removed.
- Bug 9972: The IRFEditArticle.html web page was missing a hidden field that is used to specify the format type to use with web validation. This has been corrected, and the code has been added.
- Bug 10067: The ValidationUser value was being included in the instructor dropdown menu on the Course search page on the Ares web pages. This value has been removed, and will no longer display in the dropdown.
- Bug 10069: The Label for LastName on the NewAuthRegistration.html web page incorrectly contained a space between "Last" and "Name." This has been corrected, and space has been removed.
- Bug 10120: The default IRFEditArticle.html and ISLRFEditArticle.html web pages were missing the #VALIDATION tags for required fields. This has been corrected in the default web pages.
- Bug 9962: A typo was found in the error message that displays when trying to add a Course User who is already affiliated with the Course. The word "effected" was used when "affected" should have been used. This has been corrected, and will now display properly on the error message.
- Bug 10191: The logic for determining which semester applies to specific start and stop dates was sometimes returning an incorrect semester. This has been corrected, and the logic has been improved in these situations.
- Bug 9696: The BaseIndexedDataObject indexer property was preventing setting the value of nullable types.
- Bug 10016: When deleting an Item or a Shared List Item that has an electronic file, the file was being incorrectly deleted if the file is referenced by exactly one Shared List Item and one Item. This issue has been corrected, and the electronic file will no longer be deleted.
Bug 10103: Changes to the Additional Title field on the Shared List Item form in the Ares client were not being saved correctly. This has been corrected, and changes will now be saved.
Bug 10182: In situations where a Hard Copy Reserve Item contained a location, if a Shared List was applied to the Item it was being treated as an electronic item and routed to Item Activation Pending or Item Available on Electronic Reserves. This has been corrected, and this routing will no longer occur.
- Bug 9605: The SSLSMTP key (which allows for SSL to be used when sending emails) was not a default customization key and had to be added manually. This has been changed, and the SSLSMTP key is now included in the Ares database by default and will display in the Ares Customization Manager.
- Bug 9778: In the Ares Customization Manager, the description window for the CourseUserLoadEnabled key was not large enough for the description. To correct this issue, a scrollbar has been added to the Description section.
- Bug 9869: The values in the LDAPSearchSuffix customization key were incorrectly being split with the "\|" character instead of the "|" character. This has been corrected, and the LDAPSearchSuffix key is now correctly being split on the '|' character.
- Bug 9916: The log statement that outputs LDAP version was always displaying the default value instead of the actual value. This has been corrected, and will now display the actual version.
- Bug 9921: Item and Stacks Searching printing was failing when an apostrophe was contained in any of the following customization keys: GeneralAddress1, GeneralAddress2, GeneralCity, GeneralContact, GeneralEMailAddress, GeneralPhone, GeneralState, GeneralZip, InstitutionName, ReservesAddress1, ReservesAddress2, ReservesCity, ReservesPhone, ReservesState, ReservesZip, and SystemURL. This has been corrected, and apostrophes will no longer cause print failure.
- Bug 9938: The Ares System Manager was not checking its version against the VersionSystemManager customization key on startup. This has been corrected, and this check will now occur.
- Bug 10061: The description for the MessageBoardNewThreadRedirect customization key was incomplete. This has been fixed, and the description has been added to.
- Bug 10066: The description of the WebEditAfterProcess key was incorrect. It read "...If set to Yes, use the WebStatusAllowEdit customization key..." This has been fixed, and now reads "...If set to No, use the WebStatusAllowEdit customization key...".
- Bug 10240: The description of the CopyrightDefaultStudents customization key read, “If the number of students has not been entered for a course and the CopyrightCourseStudents value is Enrolled Students, Ares will use this number for CCC quick pricing and ordering.” This definition was confusing, and it has been changed to be “If the number of students has not been entered for a course and the CopyrightCourseStudents value is Enrolled Students or the number of students is zero, Ares will use this number for CCC quick pricing and ordering."
- Bug 10017: When running the orphan file cleanup process, some files (those that were referred to only by shared list items) were being incorrectly deleted. This has been corrected, and these files will no longer be deleted.
- Bug 10068: Older versions of Ares did not support some newer SSL ciphers, which could cause Ares to fail to connect to LDAP servers. This has been corrected, and the ares.dll has been rebuilt to support this.
- Bug 9579: If an addon file on an Ares client machine was set to be read-only, the system was not able to automatically update and overwrite the file. This has been corrected, and addons are now able to be updated.
Ares 4.5 Updates
14 January 2015 DLL Update
- This update fixes an issue in the DLL with exporting Course information on the web. The Ares DLL version number will not change. Sites running Ares 4.5 should run this update, and will not experience any downtime during the update.
13 May 2015 Ares 18.104.22.168 Client & Server Point Release
This point release fixes a couple of issues in Ares:
- Problems with scanning have been resolved.
- An error message will no longer appear when resetting the default layout of the quick access toolbar in the client.
The client update file is available on the Ares 4.5 Downloads page. The server update file is available on the Ares server install page. Please contact Ares support at 800-567-7401 x1 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with obtaining this file.
14 July 2015 Ares 22.214.171.124 Client Point Release
This point release fixes a bug in Ares:
- The Item form in the Ares client would suddenly close right after being opened. This occurred when Ares 4.5 was installed on a machine that also has ILLiad 8.5 or Aeon 3.7 installed.
26 August 2015 Ares 126.96.36.199 Server Point Release
This point release incorporates the change to the Atlas skins file that was already fixed in the Ares client in the 14 July 2015 point release. Additionally:
- When choosing a Semester for the course creation process in Basic LTI, the Semesters dropdown will now exclude semesters past their inactive date or with a future Item addition date. This will prevent Instructors from creating courses for semesters that they cannot yet add items to.
NOTE: You must be on Ares version 4.5 before performing this update.