Client Installation Directory
The client defaults install to C:\Program Files (x86)\Aeon\ on your local workstation.
Scheduling an Update
Remember that if you are hosted by Atlas, you need to schedule a server update before you can use the new client. There may be a brief period of downtime while the server update runs- it is usually brief enough that you do not need to communicate it to end users ahead of time. Contact your Atlas Customer Service Agent to schedule your update.
Server Update Process
The Aeon server installer will no longer install the Aeon client. Additionally, the Aeon client, Staff Manager, and Customization Manager will be removed from the server for existing installations. If these applications are needed on the Aeon server, they can be found on Aeon 4.0 Downloads.
Obtaining the Aeon Client Update File
The System Manager stores the installer files and other necessary information in a web folder named AeonUpdates. There, it hosts a file named ClientUpdates.xml which details the latest available version and the path to retrieve that file. Every 15 minutes, the System Manager will see if it needs to download the latest versions from Atlas and make them available for its Clients. Read more about this process at The System Manager.
There are two types of installers:
- the installer ("setup"), which is used for new installations and major updates (updates that involve a major version number change, for example updating from 3.8.2 to 3.9.0)
- the updater ("update") which is used for updating existing clients within a major version, for example, 3.8.0 to 3.8.3.
The System Manager will only keep the latest version of the setup and update installers. Older versions are overwritten.
The System Manager runs using the following process:
- Checks the value of the VersionClient customization key to see what version of the Client is currently running.
- Retrieves the ClientUpdates.xml file from Atlas. This file provides the latest client version and the location of the setup and updates installers for each major release (e.g. 3.7, 3.8, 3.9).
- Compares its VersionClient customization key against the latest version available from Atlas.
- If a newer version is available, or if the versions match but System Manager does not currently have its AeonUpdates directory and files set up, it will update its hosted files.
- Special case: If for some reason System Manager has a later version of the Client than Atlas has made available, it will not download the latest Atlas versions even if its AeonUpdates directory has not yet been created.
- Updating its hosted files involves:
- Downloading the two latest Client installers for its release and copying them into a subdirectory of AeonUpdates named Client.
- Building its own ClientUpdates.xml file for its Aeon Clients to read, which will be hosted in AeonUpdates and will point to the installer files in AeonUpdates/Client.
- Updating its VersionClient customization key to the version number of the newest Clients it has made available.
Client Update Process
The Client Updater updates or installs the Aeon Client, Aeon Customization Manager, and Aeon Staff Manager. Note that the default location for the client installation is C:\Program Files\Aeon\.
Running the Aeon Client Updates
When the client is started it compares the value of the VersionClient customization key against its own file version.If the VersionClient version is higher than the Client's version, it will attempt to update with the following steps:
- Checks its local webserver's AeonUpdates directory (e.g. www.school.edu/aeon/AeonUpdates/ClientUpdates.xml) to see if it is hosting the newer version. If so, it will prompt the user to update.
- If this is a minor update, the Client will try to download the update installer, and the entire update process is optional. The staff user can dismiss the update prompt and simply continue loading the client. Since this is all within the same major-version release, the client will still be compatible with the database.
- If this is a major update, the Client will try to download the setup installer, and the entire update process is required to continue loading the Client. The staff user can dismiss the update prompt, but the Client will exit at that point because it may not be compatible with the Aeon database after a new major-version release.
- If the Client can't reach the local Aeon webserver or for whatever reason the ClientUpdates.xml file is not available and we're within a major release, the Client will simply log a warning and continue on.
- The Client main form also displays a notification label in the bottom-right corner that informs the user if a new update is available and allows them to download the update. This update happens twice a day and allows staff users to be notified of newly available updates even if they haven't closed their Client recently.
Additional Update Notes
A new Addons table has been added to the database. It will contain the server addons. During the update for existing sites, a conversion utility will be run that will change the ServerAddons and migrate them to this new database structure.
During product update, the conversion utility will run and take existing addons, convert them into a lua file and config xml file, save it as a zip file, and convert it so that it can be stored in the new Addons database table. The addon package will use the customized settings as the default settings in the addon package so any exported addons will contain the sites local settings of the addon unless they modify the config.xml in the exported package.
Verify location of log4d.props file for Aeon.dll
The log4d.props file for the Aeon dll has been updated and would look similar to the lines below.
#---- begin log4d.props ---- log4d.debug=TRUE log4d.loggerFactory=TLogDefaultLoggerFactory # root priority - valid values are 'DEBUG', 'INFO', 'WARN', 'ERROR', 'FATAL' log4d.rootLogger=INFO,ROOT # root appender log4d.appender.ROOT=TLogRollingFileAppender log4d.appender.ROOT.append=TRUE log4d.appender.ROOT.fileName=C:\Program Files (x86)\Aeon\logs\AeonDLL.log log4d.appender.ROOT.errorHandler=TLogOnlyOnceErrorHandler log4d.appender.ROOT.layout=TLogPatternLayout log4d.appender.ROOT.layout.dateFormat=yyyy-mm-dd hh:MM:ss,zzz log4d.appender.ROOT.layout.pattern=%d [%p] %c (%t) - %m%n log4d.appender.ROOT.maxBackupIndex=9 log4d.appender.ROOT.maxFileSize=4MB #---- end log4d.props ----
Update Document Templates from .doc to .docx
The default template documents have been updated from the ".doc" to the ".docx" format.
Sites who have customized their own templates will have to manually update them. The steps for doing so are included below.
- Back up templates to another location before updating.
- Navigate to the folder containing the print templates
- Open old .doc document
- Go to 'File -> Save As' and change the document type to "Word Document (*.docx)"
- Hit save and the new document docx document should be open on in Word now
- *Go to 'File -> Info' and click the "Convert" button to the left of the Compatibility Mode text
- Optionally, to remove personal information from the template, click "Check for Issues" on the 'File -> Info' page and then click "Inspect Document"
- Uncheck all the boxes except for "Comments, Revisions, Versions, and Annotations" and "Document Properties and Personal Information"
- Click Inspect
- Then Click "Remove All" and resave your document
- *If there are additional problems, try the process again but skip the step about converting the document from Compatibility Mode